Tuesday, February 21, 2012

How we roll

I am realising that when you are a Muslim Hijabi chick, rollin' in City of Gosnells, you need to be armed with some HipHop...

I was on Tonkin Hwy a moment earlier in slow moving traffic when my ears caught the exchange between a bunch of young males (keyword: "males"), driving on the right lane beside me. They spoke and laughed loudly, having a conversation I think they intended for me to hear.

Now let me first talk about what they drove. They were in a green Lancer sedan that appeared to be the 1999-2001 series. Unfortunately for my eyes, it was nothing special; not an Evo, no accessories, no "rice" whatsoever. In fact, from memory, it appeared to even be quite sun-damaged.

Now let me recall their conversation. At first, it appeared like they began by putting on and cranking up some Hip Hop music and started saying in a sarcastic tone "this is what girls like these days". Slowly the conversation evolved to include the term "what Muslim girls like these days"; before I knew it, the adjective "f#%!n" was used to describe these Muslim girls, Muslims in general, and their presence in Australia! I turned my head to get a better look at these clearly intellectually challenged males and learnt they were cowardly too, not daring to meet my gaze although their jeering continued and increased in volume.

How did I respond, you ask? I simply switched on my car's mp3 player and cranked up my own HipHop music. The icing on the cake would have been saying the thought that (fortunately for them) only came to mind long after they had sped away; "Is that supposed to be HipHop? Psht"

In summary, what lessons can we take away from this experience:

1) To all 'em ignorant bogans out there, if you're going to draw attention to yourselves, especially if you're going to be hurling insults, perhaps it is wiser to invest in a ride worth looking at to begin with!

2) Alhamdulillah, the Hijab successfully meets one of its purposes of helping others identify us as Muslim women.

3) My fellow Hijabi chicks, for your own protection and a safe journey home, always stay armed with some hardcore HipHop. Hit me up if you need. :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment