Thursday, January 26, 2012

POEM: Australia - A land of beauty

I wrote this poem over 10 years ago, when I was 14 years old! It was such a long time ago, but I think it might've been for a school assignment for my English teacher whose name I still remember, Ms Phang. I thought it would be appropriate to share it today in the spirit of "Australia Day/Invasion Day/Survival Day".

As I stroll along the shore, my feet in the sand
The wind on my face, in a foreign land.
The sun in my eyes, the soft sound of the sea
And the curious stare, of a wallaby.

As I sit in the shade, of a tall gum tree
The crashing waves, I see before me.
The howl of the wind, and a kite flying high
Then as the sun sets, Southern Cross in the sky.

As I stroll along the park, my eyes fixed ahead
The sun shining down, onto the flowerbed.
A bed of roses, and Kangaroo Paws
And more native flowers, than I’ve ever seen before.

As I turn my head, towards the sky
I see pelicans and kookaburras, flying high.
But upon the lake, could it really be?
Perth’s Black Swan swims before me.

 Though I’ve travelled the world, seen its sights and sounds
Australia’s unique beauty in other countries can’t be found.
Her luscious green fields, her priceless beaches
No money can buy beauty, like her natural features.

On a clear night’s sky, as I look above
I let out a sigh, for I know I’m in love.
I’m in love with the land, with the wind and the sea
Australia - my home, a land of beauty.

Purchase "Unveiling" to read more of my poetry

No comments:

Post a Comment